Friday, January 16, 2009

Pro Tools 8

Well,
I downloaded the update this week. I like it. I like it a lot.

Those who have known me for a long time, know that I was not a PT fan, at least as far as the software is concerned. I have always had their hardware and plugins as a few of my Digital Performer rigs were with TDM hardware, AudioMedia cards, 001 etc.

PT was just lacking in the "music production" part of things. Things like groove quantizing audio.

With PT 6.4 things started getting useful. Stable Reason/Rewire support=Sweet !!! It was far more useful then what my other DAWs were doing.

Then 6.7 & 6.9. Yummy.

PT7. WTF? I was seeing many useful things from Logic being borrowed.

PT7.4.2. Blamo. I find I'm in PT a lot of the time. I really dig Structure. Really dig it.

Back in my racks of MIDI gear days, I would pre mix/program all my synths and samplers so as to virtual track. Back then it was easier than tracking out and separating several pieces of MIDI gear.

Then Reason came along. Wicked. It was not very stable with my other DAW. When I used it with PT, much better.

Anyways...

PT8 is, ahem, maybe like a real hard decision maker if one were to only have one DAW. Logic beats it mostly for the bang for the buck with all the other useful bundled apps. It would be hard deciding one or the other. But not as easy as it used to be. LOL.

For the record, I've used Digital Performer since '94ish. Logic since '00 and PT since '04. Reason since the day it shipped.

I still feel like all of them are important for what I do. PT is just making it really hard to use the others sometimes. It's ergonomics are very gnarly.

Anyways...

Thanks.

No comments:

ScrewMaker Music Licensing Store